Thursday, September 15, 2011

Day 33, another glorious day in New Brunswick


I got up bright and early, had a great breakfast at the Marriott and jumped on Black Betty. 
The morning destination was Cape Jourimain. Last year when I had come through this region I had wanted to stop there but time was against me, this time was different!
Cape Jourimain Interpretive Centre
Cape Jourimain Interpretive Centre

solar water fountain
A solar water fountain
 The Interpretative Centre is ecological friendly and tells the tale of the sea life, the flora and fauna of the region. The many exhibits feature the birds of the region, the sea life and concentrate on environmental change and impacts. One of the first things you come across is a solar water fountain. It is amazingly beautiful AND environmentally friendly!


You can relive the history of the people of the area through the artwork and exhibits and take in the various walking trails. The wild roses were pungent as all of the bushes were heavy in bloom. 
The roses smelled so good
I walked along some of the walking paths, and went down to the beach to get some great shots of the light house and the Confederation Bridge.  
Confederation Bridge
The Confederation Bridge
Lighthouse at Cape Jourimain
The Lighthouse at Cape Jourimain
 There is an observation deck that affords some fantastic views of the 1870 light house that plays home to one of the very few colonies of cliff swallows in the region.
from the observation deck
The view from the observation deck
lighthouse from the observation deck
The lighthouse from the observation deck
If you enjoy history and the environment then you will truly enjoy the 2-3 hours it takes to really absorb everything that is on offer here.

For more information on the Interpretive Centre and it’s offerings:
Cape Jourimain Nature Centre
5039 route 16, Bayfield, NB, Canada E4M 3Z8
Telephone: 1-866-538-2220 or (506) 538-2220
Fax: 1-506-538-2226

After I got done taking in the Cape Jourimain Interpretive Centre there was one other thing in this part of New Brunswick I have always wanted to see, the Angel of Cap Pele, so off I went!

Cap Pele is a world renowned smoking centre for the fishing industry with over 30 smoke houses and it is also home to the famous Aboiteau Beach where they claim the water temperature varies between 18 and 21 degrees Celsius making it the warmest water north of Virginia.
Very informative displays

I came to take in the museum here and while it is a small one located at the visitors centre it is very informative and has some wonderful displays pertaining to the smoke house industry. 

I also wanted to see the Angel of Cap Pele – erected in 1935, this Concrete Statue is mounted on a stone pedestal and is one of the very few monuments in Canada to be erected on a highway.
Angel was created by an unknown Quebec artist and placed at the intersection of Acadie Rd and Robichaud St, in Cap-Pelé.
The Angel

The Angel was created by an unknown Quebec artist and placed at the intersection of Acadie Rd and Robichaud St, in Cap-Pelé. She protects the fishing and farming industries and is said to have protective powers over armed forces personnel from the town/region.

She is BEAUTIFUL! 

Since I was this close, I decided to go and visit Shediac in the day time.

Pointe-du-Chêne Wharf is located in Pointe-du-Chêne NB and is part of Shediac Bay
The wharf with all of the sail boats in is spectacular by day, by night it is stunning!

Dotted with restaurants, pubs, tour companies and gift shops there is a $2 parking fee to save the wharf and it is $2 well spent!
 
Shediac is known as the lobster capital of Canada and so I had to go see the Largest Lobster in the World!   




World Famous Lobster
The World Famous Lobster
The traffic was hectic, this is very much a tourist town so patience when you are driving is much needed!

I headed back to Moncton to say my good byes to the gang at Toys for Big boys in Moncton. 
It was awesome to see Larry Northrup, the owner again. He is such a kind man!  His dealership is a major sponsor for the new event Moto Moncton and he is very excited about being involved.

As I headed down the super slab, (the new Trans Canada Highway), to Grand Falls I had fresh Atlantic Salmon on the brain.  I had called my uncle and aunt to let them know what time I would be in Grand Falls to be told that my uncle had caught a fresh salmon! MMMMM…, after a great two hour visit with them and a very full belly, I headed over to the hotel. 
I was again staying at the Quality Inn Pres du Lac.

This family owned and run hotel is just down the road from my aunt and uncle’s home.
Always friendly, always helpful, the staff here really does care about their guests comfort.

The place is immaculately kept and it has wonderful amenities. Although I have never eaten a dinner time meal here, the breakfasts here are fantastic and the syrup they use for their waffles is the real maple syrup but then you would expect nothing less while in New Brunswick, the home of Canadian Maple Syrup among other things!
 
What I truly appreciate in this hotel are the entrances to your ground floor room. There is a card lock on both the out side and inside hallway doors. No need to go inside and unlock your room first, you simply pull up, open the screen door and use your room card to unlock the door. Another thing I appreciate is the cleanliness. I have stayed here 4 times in total and never once have I witnessed and unkempt or ill repaired room.

The showers have great water pressure and temperature, the pool area is wonderful with a sauna and whirlpool and the outdoor basket ball court and putting greens offer some additional activities over and above the exercise room.

The hotel also offers great conference and banquet rooms, perfect for hosting that motorcycle rally and or meeting! I have truly enjoyed my stays at this hotel and think you would too! Rates start at $116 for corporate customers and breakfast is included.

Quality Inn Près du Lac
10039 Route 144, St. André, NB, E3Y 3H5

Phone: (506) 473-1300
Fax: (506) 473-5501

No comments:

Post a Comment